This one was taught by guest speaker…drumroll!!…Joanna Weaver!!!! (round of applause!)
She was hilarious!!! Her bubbling personality and joy of living flowed right through the screen. Her smile seemed to warm the world and, wow, she was just awesome to watch. =)
“Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, ‘Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.’ And Jesus answered and said to her, ‘Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.'”
Now, in that day, women did not listen to teachers!!! They cooked. They cleaned. They did not listen to any Rabbi teach! At all! End of story! And where was Mary? She was at Jesus’ feet, listening to Him teach!! No wonder Martha was upset. I would be too! But, Jesus isn’t like most Rabbi’s.
Kitchen service for God won’t fill the longing in our heart. Living room intimacy leads to the kitchen service God likes and fills the longing in your heart; not the other way around.
Joanna gave seven very real roadblocks.
- Doubting God’s Love
- Worry and Anxiety
- Lack of Spiritual Hunger: Spiritual hunger, Joanna says, is different from natural hunger. Spiritual hunger only starts up when you start reading. You don’t just, get hungry for God’s Word.
- Unconfessed Sin
- Unrealistic Expectations
When you resist the Holy Spirit, you are hardening your heart against Him. When you harden your heart against Him, you can no longer hear Him. And that, is bad!
Joanna gives some tips that helped her.
- Start small, five verses, two minutes, whatever, just start small, but begin.
- Find a Bible translation that you enjoy and can understand. If the KJV isn’t understandable for you, so what? Try the ESV, NIV, or any of the other translations.
- Ask the the Holy Spirit to teach you something from what you read that day.
- Read until something speaks to you.
- Record the verse that spoke to you and your response to it.
Think about it.